Print – Corporate Overview
Scienco/FAST – a division of Bio-Microbics, Inc.
What do you value most in a water or wastewater treatment system? Innovation? Reliability? Proven performance?
Innovation has always been the core values of Scienco/FAST. We go beyond that to provide complete turnkey solutions for a multitude of applications, including other transfer, treatment devices, disinfection units, and components. With tens of thousands of installations all over the world, decades of experience has taught us that our pre-engineered, modular components provide good and reliable installations on projects of all types.
We have various third-party testing reports, case studies, and client testimonies (more than half our bookings come from repeat business and retrofits from existing systems); from temperate tropical climates to the harshest tundra.
Advanced Treatment for any Application
Scienco/FAST manufactures certified MarineFAST® Sewage Treatment Systems, first system installed in 1969. As a leading supplier of water and wastewater treatment systems, Scienco/FAST supporting our end clients in meeting new industry and environmental legislation with simple, low cost, robust wastewater treatment systems. Our wastewater treatment innovations ensure that we can supply easy-to-install, trouble-free systems with enhanced safety for some of the harshest environments on the planet.
Other installations include: floating homes, houseboats, riverboat casinos and hotels, all types of workboats, tugboats, leisure crafts, yachts, commercial vessels, offshore platforms, research vessels, icebreakers, military carriers, drill rigs and ships, floating production storage and offloading (FPSOs), tankers, and other types of vessels with onboard facilities. Scienco/FAST keeps your vessel in compliance and at the lowest total cost for treatment!
Built to handle extreme environments, MarineFAST® Marine Sanitation Devices are certified Type II MSDs for the treatment of blackwater and greywater on board vessels and off shore platforms from one to 2,000+ crews. The MarineFAST units are optimized for treating black and grey wastewater flows from either conventional gravity and/or vacuum fed collection systems. FAST® is a patented, proven process, where bio-degrading microorganisms become ‘fixed’ to the media and break down incoming organics and consume lesser bacteria and viruses.
This process produces a transparent, odorless waste liquid. These systems are better able to cope with surges and provide higher removal rates for organic material. The technology maintains consistent high performance, low maintenance, as well as sludge management all in one tank. The growth on the media thickens and sloughs off from the media by the aeration process and settle to the bottom of the treatment zone for removal.
History of the robust FAST® Process for aerobic, biological treatment
In the late 1960’s, the U.S. Coast Guard had a problem with ships cruising in the coastal waters were dumping wastewater overboard, causing excessive pollution – which led to the Clean Water Act of 1972. With collaboration from a major ship builder in St. Louis and the University of Kansas (KU) in Lawrence, Kansas, three design criteria for the blackwater treatment system were identified:
- It had to be fairly small in size;
- It had to have low maintenance requirements, since the ships’ mechanics who would be maintaining the system had to be available for the much more critically necessary ships’ engines at any given time;
- It had to effectively treat wastewater with varying hydraulic flows.
After much research and testing, the marine form of FAST® was born and installed on river tugboats. Since the first installation in 1969, Scienco/FAST’s MarineFAST® Type II Marine Sanitation Devices have been installed on some of the ‘greenest’ boats in the world to provide total sewage treatment, pretreatment, and (in some cases) water reuse opportunities. In fact, the system worked so well that engineers saw possibilities for land-based (www.biomicrobics.com) and many additional uses for the technology. Since then, over 45,000 FAST® sewage treatment systems have been installed in over 60 countries both on land and marine applications, providing extensive performance and environmental benefits.
Replacement wastewater treatment applications
The market includes new ships but also retrofits. Scienco/FAST replaces older or failing sewage treatment systems with MarineFAST® units even in tight quarters. Scienco/FAST also supplies a range of MSDs specifically designed to reduce the cost of installing sewage treatment equipment into existing ships and platforms. With versatile design and flow rate, the MarineFAST® Systems are compact and modular, suitable for between deck installations where space is limited.
Scienco/FAST provides an easy solution and able to assist in offering services to specify, install and commission work with trained professionals. AdaptABLE, AffordABLE, and FAST®, these systems provide are ideal to meet new build requirements or retrofit for upgrading existing systems. Scienco/FAST and Bio-Microbics works with a global network of Representatives and Distributors and have over 45,000 installations in over 60 countries.
Scienco/FAST® Product Overview
FAST® is a patented, proven process, where bio-degrading microorganisms become ‘fixed’ to the media and break down incoming organics and consume lesser bacteria and viruses. This process produces a transparent, odorless waste liquid. These systems are better able to cope with surges and provide higher removal rates for organic material. The technology maintains consistent high performance, low maintenance, as well as sludge management all in one tank. The growth on the media thickens and sloughs off from the media by the aeration process and settle to the bottom of the treatment zone for removal.
Marine Equipment Division
- MarineFAST® LX Series: Designed as an economical, lightweight modular system for harbor tugs and other small commercial vessels using a DOT certified tank.
- MarineFAST® M- & MX-Series: Designed specifically for installation where space and access for installation are limited. The M-Series are used in low headroom installations so each component can pass through a standard watertight door without disassembly. The MX series is the completely assembled version that combines the media tank and wet well in a single compartment.
- MarineFAST® DV- Series: Designed for larger commercial vessels and offshore structures, such as ferries, off-shore platforms and ore carriers.
Scienco® Commercial Equipment Division
- SciCHLOR® Sodium Hypochlorite Generator: A cost effective and reliable method of safely producing liquid chlorine for onsite disinfection.
- SciBRINE® Salt Dissolver Brinemaker: produce and store a liquid brine solution that can be used as a food additive, a chemical feed for various chemical processes or an ion exchange/water softening process.
- FloCRON® Liquid Injection Systems: A system that provides economical, accurate and reliable dispensing equipment for industrial and food processing markets. Dispensing ingredients such as water, brine, citric acid, calcium chloride, oils and sauces.
Mighty Mike® Environmentally Friendly Cleaners & Tablets
- Mighty Mike® CPT (Calcium Prevention Treatment) Tablets: Time-release tablet for the prevention or removal of calcium plaque and buildup in pipes and containers that process hard water and other calcium plaque and buildup in pipes and containers.
- Mighty Mike® FOGHOG® (Fats, Oils & Grease Treatment) Tablets: A robust, biological FOG Treatment to remove accumulated fats, oils, and grease found in wastewater treatment systems, pump stations, etc. Specifically designed to function in both aerobic and anaerobic conditions.
- Mighty Mike® U&F-BOOST!® BioRemediation (Urine & Feces Biological Treatment) Tablets- Bacteria tablets specifically designed for low-flow aerobic or anaerobic wastewater systems.
- Mighty Mike® Marine (safe for aluminum parts) & Industrial Descalers: Liquid decalcification solution to keep systems with constant running water clear of calcium and mineral build-up.
- Mighty Mike® Laundry Detergent: Safe and effective detergent with a non-toxic, odorless and completely biodegradable detergent. Safe for use on fabric that should come in contact with sensitive skin, infants and effective in HE applications.
- Mighty Mike® All Purpose Cleaner: Gently lifts dirt, oil, and grime on surfaces without using harmful chemicals or residues. Environmentally friendly and safe to use with septic systems.
The simple FAST® design culminates in a stable and effective treatment environment. Years of applied engineering knowledge have led to a product that is easy to install, easy to operate, and inexpensive to maintain.
Scienco/FAST – a division of Bio-Microbics, Inc.
12977 Maurer Industrial Drive
Sunset Hills, Missouri 63127-1515
United States of America